Monday, September 12, 2011

My Name


Harry or Chan Wook, What kind of person has two names? My Korean name means bright and outstanding. My English name means an army ruler. Both of my names are too common. It’s as common as those Indonesian islands scattered all over the ocean.
Park Chan Wook is really common Korean name and ‘Harry,’ don’t even talk about it. It didn’t feel right to maintain my Korean name in an international world. So, I named myself the name, Harry. In ISKL, my name Harry is more suitable than anything. It is as suitable as my cloak.

Unlike others, my English name was chosen, not from my parents or my brother however, I chose it. When I named myself Harry, I didn’t even know what my name really meant. Different like other names, I just wanted my name to be ‘Harry’ because many characters from the books I read were usually named Harry. However, on the other hand, my Korean name comes from my grandfather, who died of a heart attack. He made bunch of different unique names by writing particular names in traditional Chinese characters. He chose the most meaningful one. My Korean name can be written as traditional Chinese characters in meanings. My name in Chinese characters mean outstanding and bright. He concluded the meaning ‘outstanding’ because he wanted my voice to be as loud as Barack Obama’s voice.

Nine is my name in number. I was born on January 9th, 1998 and nine is always known in my life. 1998, one plus eight is nine (number 1-99-8) and I was born on the date nine. I am not an extremely nerdy math guy, however nine just suits me.

I think my English and both Korean names are priceless because it is not unique and nobody makes insults for my name however, my dislikes to my name is that it is too common. Both my names are priceless, yet common names in each culture. I feel uncomfortable around people who have identical names or same names like I do. Sometimes, when I am around different Harries, people make fun of us by calling us our name and if either of us responds, people pretend they were talking to the other Harry. My name will be never exchanged if offered. A Korean surname and English first name, both names represent my identities, internationalism and nationality. Harry a boy wizard with potential greatness. Just right for an immature person like me.


Screenshot from, http://www.google.com.my/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Harry+Park%3F%3F

No comments:

Post a Comment